More spitballing about "Occam's Climate Model Prize" (catchier I think):

Make the resource limitation of the competition classes be powers of 10
dollars spent to run the verification in a standard cloud service, but
start with 0$ on Google Colab within the free resource limits of that
service so anyone can verify and anyone can develop a model at that level
of resource consumption.  Competition-classes $1, $10, $100, $1000,
$10,000, $100,000, $1,000,000... each with correspondingly larger corpora
of climate data.

How valuable is a good climate model?

Aside from taking advantage of the primary function of money as the
standard metric for resource allocation, there is a synergistic subtext
here:

$ spent corresponds (roughly) to CO2 emission from energy consumption by
the cloud service's computation.

Another benefit is that prize entries could be required to pay f($10^class)
per submission where f(1)=c>1 and f(x) is identity-asymptotic as x->inf.
This covers the cost of verification by the judging committee, and
discourages frivolous entries.  The exact formula for that would be pretty
close to $10^class, with greater overhead for the lower values of <class>.

There would be a controversy over the choice of data at each class, but
that controversy would illuminate the salient issues.