> The paper addresses what to do about the issue of there not
> being any single completely satisfactory single metric of
> simplicity/complexity. It proposes a solution: use an array
> or such metrics and combine them using pareto optimality.
>
> I think that is basically correct. You are likely to
> have multiple measures of simplicity/complexity, and
> pareto optimality seems like a fairly reasonable
> approach to combining them.

Well it seems like weighted-averaging valid simplicity measures does
not generally yield a valid simplicity measure with nice symmetrics
(even if you're doing simple stuff like weighted-averaging of program
length and runtime, say...).  So you kinda have to go Pareto.

I had this conclusion in practice in AGI design for a while -- as did
Joscha Bach -- which is why OpenCog and MicroPsi get multiple
top-level goals not a single top-level goal... where the regulation of
goal-weightings is part of the cognitive dynamic...

> One criticism is: why frame the theory in terms of
> simpliciity? Everyone else seems to use complexity
> metrics. It is like describing your temperature metric
> as "coldness". In both cases, there's a lower bound,
> but no real upper bound. It makes sense for complex
> systems to score highly, and simple systems to have
> low scores. The "simplicity" framing suggests inverting
> this. It seems wrong to me.

Either way is right, it doesn't matter does it?

Just a matter of aesthetic taste...