The paper lacks an experimental results section. So I don't know how this
simplicity measure compares to Solomonoff induction. Theoretically,
Solomonoff induction works because all possible probability distributions
over an infinite set of strings must favor shorter strings because for
every element, there must be an infinite set of longer and less likely
strings, and finite sets of the other 3 possible combinations.

Distributions that favor fast programs are allowed but not favored by
Occam's Razor. We only use them because of practical limitations. But we
still believe that a multiverse is more likely than a universe because it
is a simpler description of our observations, in spite of requiring more
physics computation.

Remember that finding simple theories to fit the data is not computable,
which means that algorithms that do this well are necessarily complex. The
practical approach in data compression is to combine a lot of approaches
including lots of special cases.