On Sat, 9 Jan 2021, ora...@gmail.com wrote:
@Bill Hibbard
It sounds like a very comfortable future, it would be very nice to take away
from us the burden of everything related to the grueling daily chores

From what I understand you are saying that artificial intelligence will be a
tool and not a personality like a digital person

Interesting question.

I don't know if AGI must/will be conscious. Hutter's
Universal AI is at least a theoretical example of an
AGI that is not conscious, although it would likely
appear to be conscious to people it interacted with.

A lot of the focus of AI safety is on humans losing
control of AI. While that issue should be addressed,
I am more concerned with AGI that (subtly) controls
humanity to serve the interests of a small group of
powerful humans (see: human history). Such an AGI
would be a tool for an oligarchy, even if it is
conscious. The response to this danger is transparency
and accountability. In lieu of the NY Times publishing
my essay, I'll post it here again:
https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/~billh/g/human_freedom.html

Bill