On Sun, Dec 3, 2023 at 9:01 AM Matt Mahoney <mattmahone...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ...All the long term trends we care about are going in the direction we
> want

 What do you mean "all", we?

See, this is the thing people don't get about human society:

People don't have the same values.  These broadly overlapping categories
that we supposedly all agree on are not only cherry-picked from the much
broader range of values that are very much culturally if not individually
differentiated.  And if you are a guy like Pinker, you are going to
cherry-pick them to suit yourself and those with whom you share what is
properly called a "purpose in life".

Far too little attention is paid to the fact that "consent" is routinely
and massively and sometimes viciously violated by this "we".