On Sat, Mar 30, 2024, 6:30 PM Keyvan M. Sadeghi <keyvan.m.sade...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Don't be too religious about existence or non-existence of free will then,
> yet. You're most likely right, but it may also be a quantum state!

The quantum explanation for consciousness (the thing that makes free will
decisions) is that it is the property of observers that turns waves into
particles. The Schrödinger wave equation is a pair of differential
equations that relate the position, momentum, and energy of masses. It is
an exact, deterministic description of a system. If that system contains
observers, then the solution is an observer observing particles. The
observations appear random because no part of the system can have complete
knowledge of the system containing it.

An observer does not need to be conscious. It just needs to have at least
one bit of memory to save the measurement. The wave equation is symmetric
with respect to time, but writing to memory is not, because the old value
is erased.

The problem with this explanation is that it says that all systems with
memory are conscious. A human with 10^9 bits of long term memory is a
billion times more conscious than a light switch. Is this definition really
useful?

In the meantime, how can we manipulate the shitheads of the world to do the
> right things?

What would be the right things?