> OTOH, at least Novamente has enough internal complexity to reach
> territory that hasn't already been explored by classical AI research. I
> don't expect it to "wake up", but I expect it will be a lot more
> productive than those "One True Simple Formula For Intelligence"-type
> projects.

Yes and no.

You are right that an AI entity will be a complex system with a great
deal of pre-programmed structure.

You are mostly wrong, however, in denouncing the "one true formula"
approach because there really is only one obvious problem standing in
our way to general intelligence and that's the friggin translation
problem...

Its friggin cuz Hofstadter came up with it some 20 years ago and the
solution has not yet been discovered...

After the translation problem is solved, creating AI entities should be
so simple that even an un-modified human 8-year old could do it if
provided with a toolbox of drag-and-drop components... (Actually
creating the components would require at least a HS level compsci
course)...

--
I WANT A DEC ALPHA!!! =)
21364: THE UNDISPUTED GOD OF ALL CPUS.