Hi Bill,

I believe there are some open source AI projects out there already.
I forget their names.

Anyway, as for whether open source AI makes sense.  I think it probably
does not.  The problem is that building an AGAGIs a highly uncertain
design problem.  Everybody seems to have his or her own idea on how to
do it and they usually don't seem to be able to agree with each other
on much at all!  At least that's my experience.  I believe that once
the design is really sorted out in fine detail actually coding the system
won't be too much of a problem.

Contrast this to something like Linux...
There you have a very clearly defined target: Unix.  You also have a
lot of people who have used Unix before and like it and want to help
make something similar themselves.  Sure you get a lot of people
debating stuff; but it's more medium level design and implementation
details.  It's not like they are arguing about whether they really
want to create Windows or about what an operating system even is.

In AI we often can't even agree on this.  Thus I see AGAGIs prprimarilya design problem
rather than an implementation one.  In Linux there is
a huge amount of boring implementation that needs to be done to get
all the drivers for hundreds of kinds of graphics hards and hard disk
controls etc. all coded and working.  This is a very different problem.

Cheers
Shane