Hi Brad

> This is not at all true. I could design a neural network, or perhaps even
> symbolic computer program that can evaluate the attractivenes of a peacock
> tail and tune it to behave in a similar fashion as that tiny portion of a
> real peacock's brain. Does this crude simulation contain qualia?

I think you reversed my logic.

I'm sure that a relatively simply AI system could be devised to emulate a peacock's identification of fancy tails.  But my guess is that no sense of qualia would be involved for the simple AI system.  But I wouldn't mind betting that real peacocks perceive something like what we call qualia - and my expectation is that this sensation plays a part in peacock breeding behaviour.

My real interest is in why brains have evolved to produce sensations that can be described as qualia - when at first analysis this sensation doesn't appear to be necessary for intelligent behaviour to occur.

The options seem to me to be that qualia :

o   are not necessary and come free as an accidental byproduct; or

o   are not necessary but come as a desired byproduct that has got
    implicated in gene replication and hence has been propagated and
    enhanced; or

o   are the logical result of advanced subjective information processing
    in a setting of limited computational power.

Cheers, Philip