Matt Mahoney wrote:
Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
5) I have looked at your paper and my feelings are exactly the same as Mark's .... theorems developed on erroneous assumptions are worthless.

Which assumptions are erroneous?

Marcus Hutter's work is about abstract idealizations of the process of intelligence that are strictly beyond the bounds of computability in the universe we actually live in.

The "erroneous assumptions" I spoke of are centered on his (and your) misappropriation of words that already have other meanings (like intelligence, behavior, optimal behavior, goal, agent, observation, and so on): basically, if he were to claim to be proving mathematical facts about entities that had nothing to do with the world, I would not fault him, but he and you attach words to some of the mathematical constructs that already have other meanings. That identification of terms is a false assumption.

What happens after that is that you start to deploy the conclusions derived from the math AS IF THEY APPLIED TO THE ORIGINAL MEANINGS OF THE APPROPRIATED TERMS. So in that sense, you are basing your conclusions on erroneous assumptions.

You know about the mathematical field called "Model Theory"? You know about the mathematical concept of a "Ring"? Try walking around a toy store talking about the airplane models as if they were the same as the models in model theory. Try walking around a jewelers and coming to conclusions about the engagement rings as if they were instances of mathematical rings.

That would be stupid.

"Rings" and "Models" are appropriated terms, but the mathematicians involved would never be so stupid as to confuse them with the real things. Marcus Hutter and yourself are doing precisely that.

I rest my case.

Richard Loosemore