Richard Loosemore wrote:

[ASIDE. An example of this. The system is trying to answer the question "Are all ravens black?", but it does not just look to its collected data about ravens (partly represented by the vector of numbers inside the "raven" concept, which are vaguely related to the relevant probability), it also matters, quite crucially, that the STM contains a representation of the fact that the question is being asked by a psychologist, and that whereas the usual answer would be p(all ravens are black) = 1.0, this particular situation might be an attempt to make the subject come up with the most bizarre possible counterexamples (a genetic mutant; a raven that just had an accident with a pot of white paint, etc. etc.). In these circumstances, the numbers encoded inside concepts seem less relevant than the fact of there being a person of a particular type uttering the question.]
Just doing my usual anarchic bit to bend the world to my unreasonable position, that's all ;-).

Richard Loosemore.
I would model things differently, the reactions would likely be the same, but ...

One encounters an assertion "All ravens are black." (in some context)
One immediately hits memories of previously encountering this (or equivalent?) statements.
One then notices that one hasn't encountered any ravens that aren't black.
Then one creates a tentative acknowledgement "Yes, all ravens are black."
One evaluates the importance of an accurately correct answer (in the current context). If approximate is "good enough", one sticks with this acknowledgement.

If, however, it's important to be precisely accurate, one models the world, examining what features might cause a raven to not be black. If some are found, then one modifies the statement, thus: "All ravens are black, except for special circumstances". One checks to see whether this suffices. If not, then one begins attaching a list of possible special circumstances, in order of generation from the list. "All ravens are black, except for special circumstances, such as: they've acquired a coat of paint (or other coloring material), there might be a mutation that would change their color, etc. The significant thing here is that there are many stages where the derivation could be truncated. At each stage a check is made if it's necessary to continue. Just how precise an answer is needed? Your example of a psychologist asking the question shapes the frame of the "quest for sufficiently precise", but it's always present. Rarely does one calculate a complete answer. Usually one either stops at "good enough", or retrieves a "appropriate" answer from memory.

Note that I implicitly asserted that, in this case, modeling the world was more expensive than retrieving from memory. That's because that's how I experienced it. It is, however, not always true. Also, if the answer to a question is dependent on the current context, then modeling the world may well be the only way to derive an answer. (Memory will still be used to set constraints and suggest approaches. This is because that approach is faster and more efficient that calculating such things de novo...and often more accurate.)

This is related to the earlier discussion on "optimality". I feel that generally minds don't even attempt optimality as normally defined, but rather search for a least cost method that's "good enough". Of course, if several "good enough" methods are available the most nearly optimal will often be chosen. Not always though. Exploration is a part of what minds do. A lot depends on what the pressures are at the moment. One could consider this exploration as the search for a "more nearly optimal" method, but I'm not sure that's an accurate characterization. I rather suspect that what's happening is a "getting to know the environment". Of course, one could always argue that in a larger context this is more nearly optimal...because minds have been selected to be more nearly optimal than the competition, but it's a global optimality, not the optimality in any particular problem. And, of course, the optimal organization of a mind historically depends upon the body that it's inhabiting. Thus beavers, cats, and humans will approach the problem of crossing a stream differently. Of them all, only the beaver is likely to have a mind that is tuned to a nearly optimal approach to that problem. (And its optimal approach would be of no use to a human or a cat, because of the requirement that minds match their bodies.)

Is the AGI going to be disembodied? Then it will have a very different optimal organization that will a human. But a global optimization of the AGI will require that it initially be able to communicate with and understand the motivations of humans. This doesn't imply that humans will understand its motivations. Odds are they will do so quite poorly. They will probably easily model the AGI as if it were another human. (I've seen people to that with cats, dogs, and cars...an AGI would likely cause this to be inescapable, as it could communicate intelligibly.)

So, in this context, what does "nearly optimal" mean? (I'm avoiding the term "almost optimal", as I don't thing we could either approach it or define it.) One thing I'm certain it will entail is being vague rather than precise in answering questions except in specific cases where precision is requested.