Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: As you might know, my interest is data
compression.  Its relation to AGI is explained in
http://cs.fit.edu/~mmahoney/compression/rationale.html
To summarize, you need to solve AI to compress text well.  I don't pretend to
know how to do that.  But I do claim that it is a better way to measure
intelligence than the Turing test.

I think AGI is a poorly defined goal.  You can't ever say if it has been
achieved or not.  Useful intelligences will not be like the human brain with
all its weaknesses, like emotions, biases, slow response times, spelling and
arithmetic errors, and limited short term memory that seem necessary to pass
the Turing test.  If your goal is to use AGI to replace all human labor, then
it is only necessary to make it intelligent in areas related to its job.
Google far surpasses humans in its ability to answer simple questions, but you
would not call it AGI.

Google doesnt ditectly answer anything, just provides helpful pointers, but
does that fairly well, given a good intelligence controlling the search terms.

I would really like to see a coordinated list of goals come out of this list.
I have seen a lot of talk and concern about the Singularity and friendliness
and super-AI, which is frustrating to me, cause we need to concentrate on
creating a basic or working AI first before it can and we can worry about a
super AI.

A simple list, or set of goals for an AGI to accomplish reasonably I would find
very useful, and something to work for.  Most things I have seen consist of
either specialized expert system types, or "General" intelligence where it is
defined as "Do Everything" that humans can and more and better.  We need to
have a well defined set of possible goals in between where we can work towards
those as opposed to being bogged down tryign to create a super being.

To that end, I propose an AGI should be able to act as a normal human common,
'stupid' person.  I dont worry in the beginning about it coming up with any
kind of unique wonderful ideas.  One test of this that I am intersted in, is
putting the AI in common environments and situation from fiction novels and
allowing them to act, and for you to interact with them, for them to learn
there and accomplish simple goals.
more later...

James Ratcliff

James Ratcliff - http://falazar.com