Numbers for humans vary rather a lot.  Some types of cells have up to
200,000 connections (Purkinje neurons) while others have very few.
Thus talking about "the" number of synapses per neuron doesn't make
much sense.  It all depends on which type of neuron etc. you mean.

Anyway, when talking about a global brain average I most often see the
number 1,000.   For rat cortex (which is a bit different to mouse cortex
in terms of thickness and density) I usually see the number 10,000 as
the average (just for cortex, not the whole brain).

Shane