In case anyone is interested, some folks at IBM Almaden have run a
one-hemisphere mouse-brain simulation at the neuron level on a Blue Gene (in
0.1 real time):

http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/cascio20070425/
http://www.modha.org/papers/rj10404.pdf which reads in gist:

Neurobiologically realistic, large-scale cortical and sub-cortical simulations
are bound to play a key role in computational neuroscience and its
applications to cognitive computing. One hemisphere of the mouse cortex has
roughly 8,000,000 neurons and 8,000 synapses per neuron. Modeling at this
scale imposes tremendous constraints on computation, communication, and
memory capacity of any computing platform.
 We have designed and implemented a massively parallel cortical simulator with
(a) phenomenological spiking neuron models; (b) spike-timing dependent
plasticity; and (c) axonal delays.
 We deployed the simulator on a 4096-processor BlueGene/L supercomputer with
256 MB per CPU. We were able to represent 8,000,000 neurons (80% excitatory)
and 6,300 synapses per neuron in the 1 TB main memory of the system. Using a
synthetic pattern of neuronal interconnections, at a 1 ms resolution and an
average firing rate of 1 Hz, we were able to run 1s of model time in 10s of
real time!

Josh