I think at some point in time an AGI will need to be embodied.. I know many
intend to use robots in the future, and to copy the software into them, as a
step embodiment in a virtual environment could prove useful.
  One thing I intend to do with mine is give it autonomy as soon as possible,
and allow it to explore, and try things out.  This is a crucial route in
learning, and by letting a bot loose in a sim office environment, it could act
and interact with many objects and learn in that fashion.
  There is only so much we can do with text only, many things will be learned
as experienced, with text we can pull in some initial material and much facts,
but not all of the life experience.
  A simplified version of vision can be used, goign ahead and letting a bot
"know" or "read" the name of many of the objects, to get around the specific
vision problems that are known.
  Second life now has a programming API as well, and I just found a damage
function which could be used for role-playing agents.

James Ratcliff

"YKY (Yan King Yin)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 On 4/27/07, James Ratcliff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> *navigation,
> *manipulation,
> *communication/ languages

 You're talking about "stepping stone" tasks to bootstrap an AGI, so I'd say
"navigation" and "manipulation" are not necessary.  In fact, the whole
embodiment thing can be ditched, because language is sufficient.  In fact, a
robot or VR-bot cannot navigate / manipulate without vision, so the embodiment
route is too complex and inefficient compared to the NL route.

 I'd add:
 * basic reasoning abilities
 * memorizing facts and maintain a coherent body of knowledge
 otherwise the thing would be useless.

 Agree?

 YKY