Just been looking at the vids. of last year's AGI conference. One thing really hit me from the panel talk - and that was: but, of course, only open-source AGI will ever work. Sorry, but all these ideas of individual systems, produced by teams of - what? - say, twenty individuals at most - achieving some significant form of intelligence are, frankly, wild fantasies. We're talking re the human system about the most fabulously complex machine in the universe - and even a simple worm is mind-blowingly complex. Hey, a single cell is awesome. Not just complex as in "having many parts" but complicated as in "having many subsystems".

If you stand back and look at AI/ AGI and robotics, as a whole, what you already have anyway is a de facto division of labour of the problem, however crude - different groups are, in fact, going for different aspects of the problem, Emotions, navigation, proprioception, vision, etc. etc. And, you have different roboticists tackling more or less every stage of evolution - with robots from worms and snakes to humanoids.

The greatest challenge - and these are my first, very stumbling thoughts here - is to find ways that people can work together on the overall roblem - that all these systems (or subsystems) that people are working on can connect and evolve together.

That's the only way that even an adaptive robotic worm [or equivalent] will be produced. (And a common systems/ common parts approach is after all that used by evolution itself).

Open-source creativity is the defining model of creativity in this century. The Human Genome Project provided the template not just for biology but for human creativity. And actually, the real singularity - the greatest leap forward - in this century, long before any form of machine intelligence, will be the leap in human creativity that is coming. The last century was that of universal education, this will be the century of universal creativity.

Of course, the problem was relatively easy to define for the Human Genome Project. Defining and carving up the problem of AGI so that many teams and the whole world can work on it jointly, is a huge challenge in itself. But it can be done.

(Stan Franklin, for example, talked of the problem of just achieving a common ontology, or terminology for AGI, and yet, if you think about it, people ARE using a great deal of common terminology anyway)

Ben, I imagine, more or less knows the open-source truth in talking about an AGI "Manhattan Project." But even that would be too small. The whole world - the whole Internet - will have to be involved..