Have to blurb on this as it irks me -

Even if you write a "Hello World" app it is a mathematical entity expressed
through a mathematical medium.  Software layers from source to binary to OS
to drivers are a gradation from the mathematically abstract to the physical
world as is with painting an abstract image with oils on canvas.  The
electronics hierarchy that the software runs on is more binary and
systematic than oils on canvas.

Great programs that heavily use math to name a few I've used are engineering
apps like Autocad, Ansys, Solidworks,

3D Design - 3D Studio Max, Lightwave, Maya, SoftImage

the list is unfathomable

Chemical design - ChemOffice

Electronics - Electronics Workbench, VisualSpice

Audio Processing - Audition, SpectraPlus

Accounting - Quickbooks, spreadsheets -Excel, Data analysis - MatLab,

there are too many categories and these are just some off the shelf greats
not custom built...

The closer the software can get to mathematics the better and more powerful.
It's like the world can be described instead of mass, energy, the
fundamental interactions will probably be united with a model that is
described with data only as data is the unifying force, expression and
operations on data are just re-expressions of data, the data and operations
are the same.  Software is a very good utilitarian expression virtualized on
this unifying data space.

For AGI there are the pure knowledge cognition engines existing only in
theory of which these engines approach infinite intelligence.  The problem
is breaking chunks of these models off, or coming up with simpler models,
and fitting the models into the real world running on practical engineering
systems like software running on computers that are contemporary or will be
contemporary in the near future.

For AGI design we tend to leave the mathematical proofs up to the experts
and rely on their results using that knowledge as a supply of tools and
components for building data interaction systems.  The library of
mathematical results from proofs is so large and untapped that it is really
hard for me to imagine an AGI is not running right now somewhere on
someone's computer.  That is the opportunity in this sort of thing.
Software building in general is a continuous struggle of materializing into
software the non-materialized mathematics that is applicable and can
generate or enhance a revenue model or interest for its survival.

As classifying all software it could be done based on source code as DNA but
I'm now thinking that it should be done based on incorporated and/or the
utilized mathematics, as source code is just a mathematical structure and
the function of the software is a type of emergent behavior of the souce
code and can be distilled into mathematical descriptor trees for different
software categories and lineages.

John

From: David Clark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Some people take Mathematics and their so called "proofs" as the gospel when
it comes to programming and AGI.  Even though I have a Math minor from
University, I have used next to no Mathematics in my 30 year
programming/design career.  I have never been impressed by complicated
formulas and I have been many slick (Math) talking people who couldn't
produce anything that worked in the real world.

I'm not saying that some Math isn't useful for AGI in limited instances, but
I have yet to see any great program that relied very heavily on Math.  Most
of the examples I have seen of explaining simple concepts using Math on this
list has resulted in less accurate communication rather than better.

Turing machines and Chinese room experiments are fine for the philosophers
that create nothing but hot air but I respect real designs that work in the
real world.