On 5/17/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
--- Pei Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> To me, traditional computer science (CS) studies "what is the best
> solution to a problem if the system has SUFFICIENT knowledge and
> resources", and AI is about "what is the best solution to a problem if
> the system has INSUFFICIENT knowledge and resources". I also believe
> that traditional AI failed largely because it conceptually stayed too
> closely to CS.

I think for resources it's the other way around.  CS is concerned with the
space and time complexity of algorithms.  I believe the failure of AI is due
to lack of these resources.  The brain has about 10^15 bits of memory
(counting synapses and using common neural models) and computes 10^16
operations per second (assuming 10 bits/second information rate, higher if
individual pulses are significant).

Matt,

We clearly have different ideas about what "intelligence" means. More
resources will surely make a system more capable, even with the same
internal mechanism, but to me, it will not make the system more
intelligent.

What if you had sufficient computing power.  Then how would you solve AGI?

For problems we already have sufficient knowledge and resources, we
don't need intelligence. We'll never have sufficient computing power
for all of our problems, so intelligence will always be needed here or
there.

Pei