One possible method of becoming an AGI tycoon might be to have the
main core of code as conventional open source under some suitable
licence, but then charge customers for the service of having that core
system customised to solve particular tasks.

Uh, I don't think you're getting this. Any true AGI is going to be able to customize itself . . . . (that's kind of the point)

If you're going down the route of distributing shares in future
profits then those involved should be clear about the chances of
getting some return and likely time scales.

I don't believe that it is possible for anyone to "be clear about the chances of getting some return and likely time scales" because I don't believe that anyone has that information. Each individual is going to have to make their own "guess"timate of these things from the architecture, the project plan, their assessment of their co-contributors, their assessment of the difficulty of the project plan tasks, and whether of not they believe that the project plan tasks will actually lead to an AGI,

The Mindpixel project
from some years ago was really a textbook example of how not to do it
(i.e. by raising big expectations of near term profit, and then
failing to deliver).

Yet that is what they (incorrectly) believed and what you're trying to force me to do.