On Friday 08 June 2007 08:21:28 am Mark Waser wrote:
> Opening your project up to an unreliable parade of volunteer contributors
allows for a great, lowest-common-denominator consensus product. That's fine
for Wikipedia, but I wouldn't count on any grand intellectual discourse
arising therein. Same goes for most software developed by this method-almost
all the great open source apps are me-too knockoffs of innovative proprietary
programs, and those that are original were almost always created under the
watchful eye of a passionate, insightful overseer or organization. Firefox is
actually Mozilla Firefox, after all.

This is basically right. There are plenty of innovative Open Source programs
out there, but they are typically some academic's thesis work. Being Open
Source can allow them to be turned into solid usable applications, but it
can't create them in the first place.

Josh