On 9/22/07, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You understand that I am not proposing to solve AGI by using text compression.
>  I am proposing to test AI using compression, as opposed to something like the
> Turing test.  The reason I use compression is that the test is fast,
> objective, and repeatable.  It is less expensive to maintain a compression
> benchmark than a Loebner prize.

demo/discussion: http://www.seamcarving.com/
try it: http://rsizr.com/

What are the implications of this for robot vision and memory?  I
understand that this is not technically AGI.  It seems to me that this
is approximating the kind of selective importance that we use to
remember details about a scene.  This is narrow intelligence for
preserving the apparent visual object in a picture, but I imagine
there would be an analogous process for preserving other data implied
by a scene.