Mike,

I think the concept of image schema is a very good one.

Among my many computer drawings are ones showing multiple simplified
drawings of different, but at different semantic levels, similar events
for the purpose of helping me to understand how a system can naturally
extract appropriate generalizations from such images.   For example,
multiple different types of "hitting:". Balls hitting balls.  Ball hitting
walls.  Bats hitting balls.  Multiple pictures of Harry hitting Bill and
Bill hitting Harry. Etc.

So you are preaching to the choir.

I have no idea how new the idea is.  When Schank was talking about scripts
I have a hunch the types of computers he had couldn't even begin to do the
level of image recognition necessary do the type of generalization I think
we are both interested in.  The Serre article, a link to which I sent you
earlier today, and the hierarchical memory architecture it provides an
example of, make such automatic generalization from images much easier.
So learning directly from video, to the extent it is not already here (and
some surprising forms of it are already here), will be coming soon, and
that learning will definitely include things you could properly call image
schemas.

Edward W. Porter
Porter & Associates
24 String Bridge S12