On Wed, Oct 10, 2007 at 01:06:35PM -0700, Charles D Hixson wrote:
> For me the sticking point was that we were informed that we didn't know
> anything about anything outside of the framework presented.  We didn't
> know what a Fred was, or what a human was, or what an animal was.

?? Well, no. In NARS, you actually know a lot more; you know
the relative position of each statement in the lattice of posets,
and that is actually a very powerful bit of knowledge. From this,
you can compute a truth value, and "evidence", for the statements.

NARS tells you how to  combine the truth values. So, while you
might not explicitly know what Fred is, you do have to compute
a truth value for "fred is an animal" and "fred is a human".
NARS then tells you what the corresponding "evidence" is for
"an animal is a human" and "a human is an animal" (presumably
the evidence is weak, and strong, depending on the relation
of these posets within the universe.)

In "measure-theoreic" terms, the truth value is the measure of
the size of the poset relative the size of the universe.  NARS
denotes this by the "absolute value" symbol. The syllogism rules
suggest how the measures of the various intersections and unions
of the posets need to be combined.

I presume that maybe there is some theorem that shows that
the NARS system assigns "evidence" values that are consistent
with the axioms of measure theory. Seems reasonable to me;
I haven't thought it through, and I haven't read more in that
direction.

--linas