Ben,

That is sort of a neat kind of device. Will have to think about that as it
is fairly dynamic I may have to look that one up and potentially experiment
on it.

The kinds of algebraic structures I'm talking about basically are as many as
possible.  Also things like sets w/o operators, and things not classified as
algebraic but related. I can talk generally about this and then maybe
specifics. The idea is that - let's say you are a developer and are writing
say a web server. How do you go about it? First thing you do is scrounge the
internet for snippets and source code, libraries, specs, etc..  The "AGI"
I'm talking about is approached the same way cept' you scrounge mathematics
publications generally dealing with abstract algebras. To start off though
as there are hundreds of years of "code" snippets with proofs BTW but we
start with simple stuff - groups, rings, fields, algebras,  groupoids, etc.
including sub-chunks and twists of these things. Sticking with discrete for
starters except for some continuous here and there.

One might ask why do it this way? The idea is that the "framework" is
elaborate, universal, super powerful construct - basically all abstract math
- defined by man cumulative over time, grounded in rigorous proofs and
absolutes. The goal is to get "everything" into it meaning all data input is
analyzed for algebraic structure and put into the thing. It's an algebraic
superhighway mesh highly dense -yes you have to emulate it on digital
computers - go from infinite algebraic mesh to physical real digital subset
emulated BUT that's kind of what our brains do. We happen to live in (at
least from day to day perspective) a very finite resource world. I'd like to
delve deeper into digital physics but will not here J

So there is a little background. All we are talking about is math and data
and computer. So getting stuff into it? Think about it this way - built in
lossy compression. Yes you have sensory memory duration gradations, example:
photographic to skeletoid, but to get the algebraic structure is where the
AI and stats tools get used. You can imagine how that works - but the goal
is algebraic structure especially operators, magma detection, - imagine
example a dog running look at all the cyclic groups going on - symmetry,
sets, these are signatures, motion operators - subgroups of bodily movement
definitions sampled is behavioral display, then put the dog into memory -
morphisms storage - all dogs ever seen -think of a telescoping morphism tree
index like structure. The AGI internals include morphism and functor
networks kind of like analogy tree nets. Subgroups, subfields, etc. are very
important as you leverage their structure defined onto their instance
representations -

Linguistic semantics? Same way. The AI and stats sensory has to break it up
into algebraic structure. You need complexity detection. A view of a
mountain and a view of a page of text have different complexity signatures.
It detects text. The gradation from image to algebraic structure - the
exploded text - sets and operators - processed according to its complexity
sig, rips it apart put into the algebraic text structure mesh memory of
built in telescoping morphism tree (or basically mossy or wormy structures
at this point from a dimensional cross section view). The linguistic text
structure is hierarchies of intersecting subsets and subgroups with morphic
relational trees intersecting with cyclic group and subgroup indexors, etc..
tied into the KB through, once again algebraic structure. Knowledge is very
compressed and cyclic group centric (seems like especially physicl world
knowledge)- it sort of collapses with a self-organizing effect as more data
is added where memories can be peeled off.

Anyway, kind of understand where it's headed?

John

From: Benjamin Goertzel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

John Rose,

As a long-lapsed mathematician, I'm curious about your system, but what
you've said about it so far doesn't really tell me much...

Do you have a mathematical description of your system?

I did some theoretical work years ago representing complex systems dynamics
in terms of abstract algebras.  What I showed there was that you could
represent a certain kind of multi-component system, with complex
inter-component interactions, in such a way that its dynamic evolution over
time is equivalent to the iteration of a quadratic function in a
high-dimensional space with an eccentric multiplication table on it.  The
multiplication table basically encodes information of the form

(component i) acts_on (component j) to produce (component k)

where acts_on is the mult. operator....  So then complex systems dynamics
all comes down to Julia sets and Mandelbrot sets on high-dimensional real
algebras ;-)

I never ended up making any use of this direction of thinking, but I found
it interesting...

This stuff made it into my 1997 book "From Complexity to Creativity" I
believe...

I am curious what kinds of abstract algebras you are using, and how you map
percepts into algebras, how you map algebras into sequences of actuator
commands, and how messy cognitive structures like linguistic semantics (for
one example) would be represented as algebras in your system.