> From: Richard Loosemore [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> It is easy for a research field to agree that certain problems are
> really serious and unsolved.
>
> A hundred years ago, the results of the Michelson-Morley experiments
> were a big unsolved problem, and pretty serious for the foundations of
> physics.  I don't think it would have been "self-defeating
> narrow-mindedness" for someone to have pointed to that problem and said
> "this is a serious problem".

Well the definition of problems and the approaches to solving the problems
can be narrow-minded or looked at with a narrow-human-psychological AI
perspective.

Most of these problems boil down to engineering problems and the theory
already exists in some other form; it is a matter of putting things together
IMO.

But myself not being in the "cog sci" world for that long, only thinking of
AGI in terms of computers, math and AI, I am unaware of the details of some
of the particular AGI unsolved mysteries that are talked about. Not to say I
haven't thought about them from my own narrow-human-psychological AI
perspective :)

John