Matt,

IN my Mon 12/3/2007 8:17 PM post to John Rose from which your are probably
quoting below I discussed the bandwidth issues.  I am assuming nodes
directly talk to each other, which is probably overly optimistic, but still
are limited by the fact that each node can only receive somewhere roughly
around 100 128 byte messages a second.  Unless you have a really big P2P
system, that just isn't going to give you much bandwidth.  If you had 100
million P2P nodes it would.  Thus, a key issue is how many participants is
an AGI-at-Home P2P system going to get.

I mean, what would motivate the average American, or even the average
computer geek turn over part of his computer to it?  It might not be an easy
sell for more than several hundred or several thousand people, at least
until it could do something cool, like index their videos for them, be a
funny chat bot, or something like that.

Ed Porter

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt Mahoney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 8:51 PM
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Subject: RE: Hacker intelligence level [WAS Re: [agi] Funding AGI research]

--- Ed Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We do not know the number and width of the spreading activation that is
> necessary for human level reasoning over world knowledge.  Thus, we really
> don't know how much interconnect is needed and thus how large of a P2P net
> would be needed for impressive AGI.  But I think it would have to be
larger
> than say 10K nodes.

In complex systems on the boundary between stability and chaos, the degree
of
interconnectedness per node is constant.  Complex systems always evolve to
this boundary because stable systems aren't complex and chaotic systems
can't
be incrementally updated.

In my thesis ( http://cs.fit.edu/~mmahoney/thesis.html ) I did not estimate
the communication bandwidth.  But it is O(n log n) because the distance
between nodes grows as O(log n).  For each message sent or received, a node
must also relay O(log n) messages.

If the communication protocol is natural language text, then I am pretty
sure
our existing networks can handle it.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&;