--- Ed Porter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Matt,
>
> Does a PC become more vulnerable to viruses, worms, Trojan horses, root
> kits, and other web attacks if it becomes part of a P2P network? And if so
> why and how much.

It does if the P2P software has vulnerabilities, just like any other server or
client.  Worms would be especially dangerous because they could spread quickly
without user intervention, but slowly spreading viruses that are well hidden
can be dangerous too.  There is no foolproof defense, but it helps to keep the
protocol and software as simple as possible, to run the P2P software as a
nonprivileged process, use open source code, and not to depend to any large
extent on a single source of software.

The protocol I have in mind is that a message contain searchable natural
language text, possibly some nonsearchable attached files, and a header with
the reply address and timestamp of the originator and any intermediate peers
through which the message was routed.  The protocol is not dangerous except
for the attached files, but these have to be included because it is a useful
service.  If you don't include it, people will figure out how to embed
arbitrary data in the message text, which would make the protocol more
dangerous because it wasn't planned for.

In theory, you could use the P2P network to spread information about malicious
peers and deliver software patches.  But I think this would introduce more
problems than it solves because it would also introduce a mechanism for
spreading false information and patches containing trojans.  Peers should have
defenses that operate independently of the network, including disconnecting
itself if it detects anomalies in its own behavior.

Of course the network is vulnerable even if the peers behave properly.
Malicious peers could forge headers, for example, to hide the true source of
messages or to force replies to be directed to unintended targets.  Some
attacks could be very complex depending on the idiosyncratic behavior of
particular peers.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]