Matt,

>> You can feed it with text. Then AGI would simply parse text [and
>> optionally - Google it].
>>
>> No need for massive computational capabilities.

> Not when you can just use Google's 10^6 CPU cluster and its database with 10^9
> human contributors.

That's one of my points: our current civilization gives AGI researcher
ability to build AGI prototype on single PC using existing
civilization's achievements.

Human being cannot be intelligent without surrounding society anyway.
We all would loose our mind in less than 10 years if we are totally
separated from other intelligent systems.

Intelligence simply cannot function fully independently.

Bottom line: when building AGI - we should focus on building member
for our current civilization. Not fully independent intelligent
system.