On 10/01/2008, Benjamin Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Note the new emphasis ;-) You example didn't have statements *about*
> > words, but new rules were inferred from word usage.
>
> Well, here's the thing.
>
> Dictionary text and English-grammar-textbook text are highly ambiguous and
> complex English... so you'll need a very sophisticated NLP system to be able
> to grok them...

Firstly, so what? Why not allow for the fact that there will hopefully
be a sophisticated NLP system in the system at some point? Give it the
hooks to use dictionary style acquisition, even if it won't for the
first x years of development. We are aiming for adult human-level in
the end, right? Not just a 5 year old.

It will make adding French or another language a whole lot quicker,
when it comes to that level. Retrofitting the ability may or may not
be easy at that stage. It would be better to figure out whether it is
easy or not before settling on an architecture. My hunch, is that it
is not easy.

Secondly, I'm not buying that it is any more complex than dealing with
other domains. You easily get equal complexity dealing with
non-linguistic stuff such as

This is a battery
A battery can be part of a machine
Putting a battery in the battery holder, gives the machine power

Is as complex, if not more so, than

un- is a prefix
A prefix is the front part of a word
Adding un- to a, "word," is equivalent to saying, "not word."

What the system does after processing these different sets of
sentences is vastly different. A difference worth exploring before
settling on an architecture, IMO.

Not building the potential to have a capability into a baby based AI,
even if it is not initially used, means when the AI is grown up it
still won't be able to have that capability. Unless you are relying on
it getting to the self-modifying code phase before the
asking-what-words-mean phase.

  Will