On Jan 11, 2008 12:04 AM, William Pearson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Secondly, I'm not buying that it is any more complex than dealing with
> other domains. You easily get equal complexity dealing with
> non-linguistic stuff such as
>
> This is a battery
> A battery can be part of a machine
> Putting a battery in the battery holder, gives the machine power
>
> Is as complex, if not more so, than
>
> un- is a prefix
> A prefix is the front part of a word
> Adding un- to a, "word," is equivalent to saying, "not word."
>
> What the system does after processing these different sets of
> sentences is vastly different. A difference worth exploring before
> settling on an architecture, IMO.

William,

What do you mean by difference in processing here? I think that both
instructions can be perceived by AI in the same manner, using the same
kind of internal representations, if IO is implemented on sufficiently
low level, for example as a stream of letters (or even their binary
codes). This way knowledge about spelling and syntax can work with
low-level concepts influencing little chunks of IO perception and
generation, and 'more semantic' knowledge can work with more
high-level aspects. It's less convenient for quick dialog system setup
or knowledge extraction from text corpus, but it should provide
flexibility.

Arguably custom low-level IO control can be provided later, hooked
into more high-level structures already set up using existing
front-end, with original IO acting as syntactic sugar for direct
knowledge base specification, but I'm not sure it's as useful as it
can seem to be.

--
Vladimir Nesov                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]