--- "YKY (Yan King Yin)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 2/18/08, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Heh... I think you could give away read-only access and charge people to
> > update it.  Information has negative value, you know.
>
> Well, the idea is to ask lots of people to contribute to the KB, and pay
> them with virtual credits.  (I expect such people to have a little knowledge
> in logic or Prolog, so they can enter complex rules.  Also, they can be
> assisted by inductive learning algorithms.)  The income of the KB will be
> given back to them.  I'll take a bit of administrative fees =)

Why would this approach succeed where Cyc failed?  Cyc paid people to build
the knowledge base.  Then when they couldn't sell it, the tried giving it
away.  Still, nobody used it.

For an AGI to be useful, people have to be able to communicate with it in
natural language.  It is easy to manipulate formulas like "if P then Q".  It
is much harder to explain how this knowledge is represented and learned in a
language model.  Cyc did not solve this problem, and we see the result.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]