My guess would be that this kind of approach will only be partly
successful, since fundamentally it's only based upon an elaborate kind
of 2D template matching.  I think what actually happens is that during
early childhood experience we are able to statistically correlate
certain types of geometry with the patterns of light falling upon out
retinas.  When we later view flat images we're able to retrieve the
associated type of geometry and imagine what the object might look
like from various angles, even if we have only seen it once.  I expect
that biological vision systems are fundamentally designed for 3D
understanding of the world, since this is of high adaptive value,
rather than a sort of 2D "screen scraping" or the retina.