----- Original Message ----
From: Mike Tintner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Sent: Thursday, May 8, 2008 9:05:22 PM
Subject: Re: Symbol Grounding  [WAS Re: [agi] AGI-08 videos]

I just want to make the point that I think categorical "grounding" is necessary
for AGI, but I believe that it could be done through symbol processing.  The
reason is that old AI had some kind of learning facility.  If symbols were
associated with generalized forms that represented possible arrangements of
data, they could then be used to designate categorical analysis that was
implicitly derived from the IO data environment as well.  So while I agree that
categorical grounding is necessary, it is just that I also believe that could
have been accomplished with AI programs that used symbol processing before
Harnad's publication.  I just believe that they lacked another facility which I
call conceptual integration.  My idea of conceptual integration includes
blending but it is not limited to it.  (And the computers in that era were too
wimpy.)
Jim Bromer

Hi Jim,

It's simply I think - and I stand to be  corrected - that he has never pushed
those levels v. hard at all. They  are definitely there in his writing, but not
elaborated.

So the only enduring impression he has left,  IMO, is the idea of "symbol
grounding" - which people have interpreted in  various ways.

As you can imagine, I personally would have  liked to see a lot more re those
intermediate levels. And if he had pushed  them, someone would presumably have
brought him up in conection with  Jeff Hawkins' work.

 Your Subscription

Be a better friend, newshound, and