Where do you live, if you do not mind me asking? The preference for server environments is very much a local phenomenon. Using California as an example, in Los Angeles there is a strong preference for Windows systems, but in Silicon Valley you will find that Unix is pervasive.

I live in Northern Virginia, near Washington, DC.

.NET may be ubiquitous in abstract because it is associated with Windows, but if you actually look at some rather important tech centers like Silicon Valley, there is not a Windows server in sight. The dominance of Unix-based systems there is so complete that it is not even a contest any more. You are apparently under the impression that this is not true,

Where do you get your statistics?  What exactly are you measuring?

If you're looking solely at servers like Google's which require extremely high performance for very specific, very tailored purposes, you are correct.

If you're looking at more generic business-type work, you're just plain wrong. And, realistically, AGI development is *MUCH* closer to the business-type work than the high-performance work.

A lot of business in Europe specifically excludes .NET as a development target for similar pragmatic reasons.

A lot of other business in Europe specifically excludes *nux. It's a cultural difference in contracting. I'm starting to distrust your claims when you come up with BS like this that I know is wrong from my own experience. How much European contracting have you done? I worked with the World Bank for a number of years and then was spun off with the Global Development Gateway. Do you really want to argue European contracting?

To be honest, I do not know of anyone that uses a Mac that is using it for .NET development -- total impedance mismatch.

Your original quote was about Mac notebooks at conferences -- not development systems. I know numerous people who use their Mac notebooks as a gateway to their non-Mac development machines. It's very common here for the reasons I stated previously.

To use Silicon Valley as an example, C/C++, Java, and Python will give you about 90% coverage of the developer pool. The .NET languages are in the residue.

OK. Show me your statistics. I have *NEVER* seen statistics anywhere like what you're quoting. One of us is *very* misinformed or you're quoting a very odd little subset that has no relevance to the real world.

In Bangalore, .NET is a major percentage of the developer pool. Which is most likely to usefully contribute to your project, programming languages aside? It sounds an awful lot like you are simply trying to rationalize your personal preference for programming language/environment.

Nice ad hominem. I have yet to see anyone attempt to deny my claim about the relative development speed on .Net vs. anything else. That sounds like a solid reason, not a rationalization.

And what is the value proposition of Java over any other language? It has no unique features. It's development is lagging. It's developers are defecting (again, look at the statistics). It's fragmenting just like Unix so it certainly isn't as portable as claimed.

The value proposition of Java is a deep pool of technically proficient hackers know it and it works on all the platforms many such people prefer. MacOS has a C/C++, Python, and Java development environment out of the box (among other less common languages), but no .NET. Linux has similar coverage out of the box. By selecting .NET you have tacitly excluded most developers in Silicon Valley, and a huge number in Europe and many other countries. Java casts a much wider net even if it is an inferior environment.

Not that much wider and it should give you a clue that the pool is shrinking by most statistics. Why can't Java win even against C++ and C? Oh, and further, you don't want hackers for a development project of any size -- you want qualified professionals who can do large-scale systems development, not quick-and-dirty little systems that quickly fall apart or become unmanageable shortly after they grow more than the slightest amount.

The language/environment is a secondary concern to the developer pool because you could develop this project in *any* language. The difference in overhead costs intrinsic to the environment are nominal. I don't like Java myself, but I think a better argument can be made for it *in this instance* relative to .NET because language features are not that important at the end of the day. If you were doing a closed shop project then .NET would be very arguably a superior choice.

So, why do you believe that all these developers are staying away from the superior choice? Why aren't the smarter ones defecting? Are you sure that they aren't? Are you sure you want that huge developer pool of those who aren't smart enough to defect?

If you hate Java, there are other environments with a better feature

Where did *that* come from. I don't hate Java. It's just seriously sub-optimal so I don't waste my time with it.

My point is not that Java is better than .NET, but that .NET is a really poor choice if you are trying to rope in a large developer talent pool.

No.  I'm trying to rope in a quality, high-performance developer pool.

I dunno, the obsession with a very particular and narrow platform systems misplaced and inappropriate for a project like this. The goal is (hopefully) *not* to select a platform you like and then rationalize every other decision around that.

You mean like choosing the platform solely based upon the size of your developer pool and ignoring what *you* acknowledge as superior features on another platform?

You agree with all of my technical reasons and then accuse me of rationalization?