--- On Sat, 5/31/08, John G. Rose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > From: Matt Mahoney [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > --- On Sat, 5/31/08, John G. Rose

> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > > I am a zombie. Prove to me that I am not. Otherwise I will
> > > accuse you of being conscious.
> >
> > Exactly my point.
> >

> Just because you communicate through the limited bandwidth
> medium of text doesn't prove anything. You could make a smart zombie
> chatterbot and make it
> irritating enough where it is very terse and just fleeting
> enough where you never figure it out. So what?

My point is that you can't tell if a person is conscious (has experience) or a
zombie (learns and has memory, but no qualia).  I think you are talking about
something else.  By zombie, I mean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie

> A problem though is eventually even a CAPTCHA won't work to filter these
> things. CAPTCHA's will evolve past character recognition to image
> recognition, it'll be interesting. What do you see in this image,
> a pony or a donkey. The bots will get smarter. And CAPTCHA's will
> ask even more humanlike questions.

Unfortunately AI will make CAPTCHAs useless against spammers.  We will need to
figure out other methods.  I expect that when we have AI, most of the world's
computing power is going to be directed at attacking other computers and
defending against attacks.  It is no different than evolution.  A competitive
environment makes faster rabbits and faster foxes.  Without hostility, why
would we need such large brains?

> Does that have anything to do with consciousness?
> What's the test for consciousness?

I think the way you are using the term, it is the Turing test.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]