Originally sent several days back...

Why do I believe anyone besides me is conscious? Because they are made of
meat? No, it's because they claim to be conscious, and answer questions about
their consciousness the same way I would, given my own conscious
experience -- and they have the same capabilities, e.g. of introspection,
1-shot learning, synthesis of novel ideas, and access to episodic memory in
narrative form (etc.) that I associate with being conscious myself.

Build a machine that does *all* of these things and you have no better reason
to claim it isn't conscious than you have to claim a person isn't.

Josh