Jim,

On 6/24/08, Jim Bromer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  Although I do suffer from an assortment of biases, I would not get
> worried to see any black man walking behind me at night.  For example, if I
> saw Andrew Young or Bill Cosby walking behind me I don't think I would be
> too worried.

However, you would have to look very carefully to identify these people with
confidence. Why would you bother to look so carefully? Obviously, because of
some sense of alarm.

  Or, if I was walking out of a campus library and a young black man
> carrying some books was walking behind me,

Again, you would have to look carefully enough to verify age, and that the
books weren't bound together with a belt or rope so they could be used as a
weapon. Again, why would you bother to look so carefully? Obviously again,
because of some sense of alarm.

  I would not be too worried about that either.

OK, so you have eliminated ~1% of the cases. How about the other 99% of the
cases?

  Your statement was way over the line, and it showed some really bad
> judgment.

Apparently you don't follow the news very well. My statement was
an obvious paraphrase from a fairly recent statement made by Rev Jesse
Jackson, who says that HE gets worried when a black man is walking behind
him. Perhaps I should have attributed my statement for those who
don't follow the news. I think that if he gets worried, that the rest of us
should also pay some attention.

However, your comment broadly dismissing what I said (reason for possible
alarm) based on some narrow possible exceptions (which would only be
carefully verified *BECAUSE* of such alarm) does indeed show that your
thinking is quite clouded and wound around the axle of PC (Political
Correctness), and hence we shouldn't be expecting any new ideas from you
anytime soon.

The message here that you will probably still completely miss, but which
hopefully other readers here will "get", is that even bright people like you
are UNABLE to program AGIs, or to state non-dangerous goals, or even to
recognize obvious dangers. The whole concept of human guidance is SO deeply
flawed that I see no hope of it ever working in any useful way. Not in this
century or the next.

Again, for the umpteenth time, and ANYONE here bothered yet to read the REST
of the Colossus trilogy that started with *The Forbin Project* movie? If we
are going to rehash issues that have already been written about, it would
sure be nice to fast-forward over past writings.

Steve Richfield