Brad,

Go back and look at Richard's e-mail again. His statement that "Keeping lists of 'things not known' is wildly, outrageously impossible, for any system" *WAS* supported by a brief but very clear "evidence-based" *and* "well-reasoned" argument that should have made it's truth *very* obvious to someone with sufficient background.

Just because you don't understand why something is true doesn't change it from a fact to an opinion. Richard is generally very good in clearly and accurately distinguishing between what is a generally-accepted fact and what is his guestimate or opinion is his e-mails.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Brad Paulsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <agi@v2.listbox.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 4:14 PM
Subject: Re: [agi] How do we know we don't know?

Richard,

Someone who can throw comments like "Isn't this a bit of a no-brainer?" and "Keeping lists of 'things not known' is wildly, outrageously impossible, for any system!" at people should expect a little bit of annoyance in return. If you can't take it, don't dish it out.

Your responses to my initial post so far have been devoid of any real substantive evidence or argument for the opinions you have expressed therein. Your initial reply correctly identified an additional mechanism that two other list members had previously reported (that surface features could raise the "feeling of not knowing" without triggering an exhaustive memory search). As I pointed out in my response to them, this observation was "a good catch" but did not, in any way, show my ideas to be "no-brainers" or "wildly, outrageously impossible." In that reply, I posted a new example query that contained only common American English words and was syntactically valid.

If you want to present an evidence-based or well-reasoned argument why you believe my ideas are meritless, then let's have it. Pejorative adjectives, ad hominem attacks and baseless opinions don't impress me much.

As to your cheerleader, she's just made my kill-list. The only thing worse than someone who slings unsupported opinions around like they're facts, is someone who slings someone else's unsupported opinions around like they're facts.

Who is Mark Waser?

Cheers,

Brad

Richard Loosemore wrote:
Brad Paulsen wrote:
Valentina,

Well, the "LOL" is on you.

Richard failed to add anything new to the two previous responses that each posited linguistic surface feature analysis as being responsible for generate the "feeling of not knowing" with that *particular* (and, admittedly poorly-chosen) example query. This mechanism will, however, apply to only a very tiny number of cases.

In response to those first two replies (not including Richard's), I apologized for the sloppy example and offered a new one. Please read the entire thread and the new example. I think you'll find Richard's and your explanation will fail to address how the new example might generate the "feeling of not knowing."

Brad,

Isn't this response, as well as the previous response directed at me, just a little more "annoyed-sounding" than it needs to be?

Both Valentina and I (and now Mark Waser also) have simply focused on the fact that it is relatively trivial to build mechanisms that monitor the rate at which the system is progressing in its attempt to do a recognition operation, and then call it as a "not known" if the progress rate is below a certain threshold.

In particular, you did suggest the idea of a system keeping lists of things it did not know, and surely it is not inappropriate to give a good-naturedly humorous response to that one?

So far, I don't see any of us making a substantial misunderstanding of your question, nor anyone being deliberately rude to you.

Richard Loosemore

Valentina Poletti wrote:
lol.. well said richard.
the stimuli simply invokes no signiticant response and thus our brain concludes that we 'don't know'. that's why it takes no effort to realize it. agi algorithms should be built in a similar way, rather than searching.

Isn't this a bit of a no-brainer? Why would the human brain need to
    keep lists of things it did not know, when it can simply break the
    word down into components, then have mechanisms that watch for the
    rate at which candidate lexical items become activated .... when
     this mechanism notices that the rate of activation is well below
    the usual threshold, it is a fairly simple thing for it to announce
    that the item is not known.

    Keeping lists of "things not known" is wildly, outrageously
    impossible, for any system!  Would we really expect that the word

"ikrwfheuigjsjboweonwjebgowinwkjbcewijcniwecwoicmuwbpiwjdncwjkdncowk-

owejwenowuycgxnjwiiweudnpwieudnwheudxiweidhuxehwuixwefgyjsdhxeiowudx-

hwieuhyxweipudxhnweduiweodiuweydnxiweudhcnhweduweiducyenwhuwiepixuwe-
dpiuwezpiweudnzpwieumzweuipweiuzmwepoidumw" is represented somewhere
    as a "word that I do not know"? :-)

I note that even in the simplest word-recognition neural nets that I built and studied in the 1990s, activation of a nonword proceeded in
    a very different way than activation of a word:  it would have been
    easy to build something to trigger a "this is a nonword" neuron.

    Is there some type of AI formalism where nonword recognition would
    be problematic?

    Richard Loosemore