Where is the hard dividing line between designed cognition and designed
simulation (where intelligent behavior is intended to be emergent in both
cases)? Even if an approach is taken where everything possible is done allow
a 'natural' type evolution of behavior, the simulation design and parameters
will still influence the outcome, sometimes in unknown and unknowable ways.
Any amount of guidance in such a simulation (e.g. to help avoid so many of
the useless eddies in a fully open-ended simulation) amounts to designed
cognition.

That being said, I'm particularly interested in the OCF being used as a
platform for 'pure simulation' (Alife and more sophisticated game
theoretical simulations), and finding ways to work the resulting experience
and methods into the OCP design, which is itself a hybrid approach (designed
cognition + designed simulation) intended to take advantage of the benefits
of both.

-dave