Matt Mahoney wrote:
An AGI will not design its goals. It is up to humans to define the goals of an AGI, so that it will do what we want it to do.
Are you certain that this is the optimal approach? To me it seems more promising to design the motives, and to allow the AGI to design it's own goals to satisfy those motives. This provides less fine grained control over the AGI, but I feel that a fine-grained control would be counter-productive.

To me the difficulty is designing the motives of the AGI in such a way that they will facilitate human life, when they must be implanted in an AGI that currently has no concept of an external universe, much less any particular classes of inhabitant therein. The only (partial) solution that I've been able to come up with so far (i.e., identify, not design) is based around imprinting. This is fine for the first generation (probably, if everything is done properly), but it's not clear that it would be fine for the second generation et seq. For this reason RSI is very important. It allows all succeeding generations to be derived from the first by cloning, which would preserve the initial imprints.

Unfortunately, this is a problem. We may or may not be successful in programming the goals of AGI to satisfy human goals. If we are not successful, ... unpleasant because it would result in a different state. -- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Failure is an extreme danger, but it's not only failure to design safely that's a danger. Failure to design a successful AGI at all could be nearly as great a danger. Society has become too complex to be safely managed by the current approaches...and things aren't getting any simpler.