I think that computation is not so much a metaphor for understanding the
universe as it is an explanation. If you enumerate all possible Turing
machines, thus enumerating all possible laws of physics, then some of those
universes will have the right conditions for the evolution of intelligent life.
If neutrons were slightly heavier than they actually are (relative to protons),
then stars could not sustain fusion. If they were slightly lighter, then they
would be stable and we would have no elements.

Because of gravity, the speed of light, Planck's constant, the quantization of
electric charge, and the finite age of the universe, the universe has a finite
length description, and is therefore computable. The Bekenstein bound of the
Hubble radius is 2.91 x 10^122 bits. Any computer within a finite universe must
have less memory than it, and therefore cannot simulate it except by using an
approximate (probabilistic) model. One such model is quantum mechanics.

For the same reason, an intelligent agent (which must be Turing computable if
the universe is) cannot model itself, except probabilistically as an
approximation. Thus, we cannot predict what we will think without actually
thinking it. This property makes our own intelligence seem mysterious.

An explanation is only useful if it makes predictions, and it does. If the
universe were not Turing computable, then Solomonoff induction and AIXI as
ideal models of prediction and intelligence would not be applicable to the real
world. Yet we have Occam's Razor and find in practice that all successful
machine learning algorithms use algorithmically simple hypothesis sets.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]