--- On Wed, 9/3/08, Abram Demski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: Abram Demski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Computation as an explanation of the universe (was Re: [agi]
> Recursive self-change: some definitions)
> To: agi@v2.listbox.com
> Date: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 7:35 PM
> Matt, I have several objections.
>
> First, as I understand it, your statement about the
> universe having a
> finite description length only applies to the *observable*
> universe,
> not the universe as a whole. The hubble radius expands at
> the speed of
> light as more light reaches us, meaning that the observable
> universe
> has a longer description length every day. So it does not
> seem very
> relevant to say that the description length is finite.
>
> The universe as a whole (observable and not-observable)
> *could* be
> finite, but we don't know one way or the other so far
> as I am aware.

OK, then the observable universe has a finite description length. We don't need
to describe anything else to model it, so by "universe" I mean only the
observable part.

> Second, I do not agree with your reason for saying that
> physics is
> necessarily probabilistic. It seems possible to have a
> completely
> deterministic physics, which merely suffers from a lack of
> information
> and computation ability. Imagine if the universe happened
> to follow
> Newtonian physics, with atoms being little billiard balls.
> The
> situation is deterministic, if only we knew the starting
> state of the
> universe and had large enough computers to approximate the
> differential equations to arbitrary accuracy.

I am saying that the universe *is* deterministic. It has a definite quantum
state, but we would need about 10^122 bits of memory to describe it. Since we
can't do that, we have to resort to approximate models like quantum mechanics.

I believe there is a simpler description. First, the description length is
increasing with the square of the age of the universe, since it is proportional
to area. So it must have been very small at one time. Second, the most
efficient way to enumerate all possible universes would be to run each B-bit
machine for 2^B steps, starting with B = 0, 1, 2... until intelligent life is
found. For our universe, B ~ 407. You could reasonably argue that the
algorithmic complexity of the free parameters of string theory and general
relativity is of this magnitude. I believe that Wolfram also argued that the
(observable) universe is a few lines of code.

But even if we discover this program it does not mean we could model the
universe deterministically. We would need a computer larger than the universe
to do so.

> Third, this is nitpicking, but I also am not sure about the
> argument
> that we cannot predict our thoughts. It seems formally
> possible that a
> system could predict itself. The system would need to be
> compressible,
> so that a model of itself could fit inside the whole. I
> could be wrong
> here, feel free to show me that I am. Anyway, the same
> objection also
> applies back to the necessity of probabilistic physics: is
> it really
> impossible for beings within a universe to have an accurate
> compressed
> model of the entire universe? (Similarly, if we have such a
> model,
> could we use it to run a simulation of the entire universe?
> This seems
> much less possible.)

There is a simple argument using information theory. Every system S has a
Kolmogorov complexity K(S), which is the smallest size that you can compress a
description of S to. A model of S must also have complexity K(S). However, this
leaves no space for S to model itself. In particular, if all of S's memory is
used to describe its model, there is no memory left over to store any results
of the simulation.