--- On Thu, 9/18/08, Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Well, yes, and that difference is a distributed index, which has yet to be
>>built.

>I extremely strongly disagree with the prior sentence ... I do not think that
>a distributed index is a sufficient architecture for powerful AGI at the human
>level, beyond, or anywhere near...

Well, keep in mind that I am not trying to build a human-like AGI with its own
goals. I am designing a distributed system with billions of owners, each of
whom has their own interests and (conflicting) goals. To the user, the AGI is
like a smarter internet. It would differ from Google in that any message you
post is instantly available to anyone who cares (human or machine). There is no
distinction between queries and documents. Posting a message could initiate an
interactive conversation, or result in related messages posted later being sent
to you.

A peer needs two types of knowledge. It knows about some specialized topic, and
it also knows which other peers are experts on related topics. For simple
peers, "related" just means they share the same words, and a peer is simply a
cache of messages posted and received recently by its owner. In my CMR
proposal, messages are stamped with the ID and time of origin as well as any
peers they were routed through. This cached header information constitutes
knowledge about related peers. When a peer receives a message, it compares the
words in it to cached messages and routes a copy to the peers listed in the
headers of those messages. Peers have their own policies regarding their areas
of specialization, which can be as simple as giving the cache priority to
messages originating from its owner. There is no provision to delete messages
from the network once they are posted. Each peer would have its own deletion
policy.

The environment is competitive and hostile. Peers compete for reputation and
attention by providing quality information, which allows them to charge more
for routing targeted ads. Peers are responsible for authenticating their
sources, and risk blacklisting if they route too much spam. Peers thus have an
incentive to be intelligent, for example, using better language models such as
a stemmer, thesaurus, and parser to better identify related messages, or
providing specialized services that understand a narrow subset of natural
language, the way Google calculator understands questions like "how many
gallons in 50 cubic feet?"

So yeah, it is a little different than narrow AI.

As to why I'm not building it, it's because I estimate it will cost $1
quadrillion. Google controls about 1/1000 of the computing power of the
internet. I am talking about building something 1000 times bigger.

-- Matt Mahoney, [EMAIL PROTECTED]