Matt M wrote:

> >Peculiarly, you are leaving out what to me is by far the most important
> and interesting goal:
> >
> >The creation of beings far more intelligent than humans yet benevolent
> toward humans
>
> That's what I mean by an automated economy. Google is already more
> intelligent than any human at certain tasks. So is a calculator. Both are
> benevolent. They differ in the fraction of our tasks that they can do for
> us. When that fraction is 100%, that's AGI.

I believe there is a qualitative difference btw AGI and narrow-AI, so that
no tractably small collection of computationally-feasible narrow-AI's (like
Google etc.) are going to achieve general intelligence at the human level or
anywhere near.  I think you need an AGI architecture & approach that is
fundamentally different from narrow-AI approaches...

ben