From: Ben Goertzel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [agi] constructivist issues
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wednesday, October 22, 2008, 12:27 PM

This is the standard Lojban dictionary

http://jbovlaste.lojban.org/

I am not so worried about word meanings, they can always be handled via
reference to WordNet via usages like run_1, run_2, etc. ... or as you say by
using rarer, less ambiguous words

Prepositions are more worrisome, however, I suppose they can be handled in a
similar way, e.g. by defining an ontology of preposition meanings like with_1,
with_2, with_3, etc.

In fact we had someone spend a couple months integrating existing resources
into a preposition-meaning ontology like this a while back ... the so-called
PrepositionWordNet ... or as it eventually came to be called the LARDict or
LogicalArgumentRelationshipDictionary ...

I think it would be feasible to tweak RelEx to recognize these sorts of
subscripts, and in this way to recognize a highly controlled English that would
be unproblematic to map semantically...

We would then say e.g.

I ate dinner with_2 my fork

I live in_2 Maryland

I have lived_6 for_3 41 years

(where I suppress all _1's, so that e.g. ate means ate_1)

Because, RelEx already happily parses the syntax of all simple sentences, so
the only real hassle to deal with is disambiguation.   We could use similar
hacking for reference resolution, temporal sequencing, etc.

The terrorists_v1 robbed_v2 my house.   After that_v2, the jerks_v1 urinated
in_3 my yard.

I think this would be a relatively pain-free way to communicate with an AI that
lacks the common sense to carry out disambiguation and reference resolution
reliably.   Also, the log of communication would provide a nice training DB for
it to use in studying disambiguation.

-- Ben G

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 12:00 PM, Mark Waser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> IMHO
that is an almost hopeless approach, ambiguity is too integral to English or
any
natural language ... e.g preposition ambiguity

Actually, I've been making pretty good
progress.  You just always use big words and never use small words and/or
you use a specific phrase as a "word".  Ambiguous prepositions just
disambiguate to one of three/four/five/more possible unambiguous
words/phrases.

The problem is that most previous
subsets (Simplified English, Basic English) actually *favored* the small
tremendously over-used/ambiguous words (because you got so much more "bang for
the buck" with them).

Try only using big unambiguous words and see if you
still have the same opinion.

>> If you
want to take this sort of approach, you'd better start with Lojban
instead....  Learning Lojban is a pain but far less pain than you'll have
trying to make a disambiguated subset of English.

My first
reaction is . . . . Take a Lojban dictionary and see if you can come up with an
unambiguous English word or very short phrase for each Lojban word.  If you
can do it, my approach will work and will have the advantage that the output
can
be read by anyone (i.e. it's the equivalent of me having done it in Lojban and
then added a Lojban -> English translation on the end) though the input is
still *very* problematical (thus the need for a semantically-driven
English->subset translator).  If you can't do it, then my approach won't
work.

Can you do
it?  Why or why not?  If you can, do you still believe that my
approach won't work?  Oh, wait . . . . a Lojban-to-English dictionary
*does* attempt to come up with an unambiguous English word or very short phrase
for each Lojban word.  :-)

Actually, hmmmm
. . . . a Lojban dictionary would probably help me focus my efforts a bit
better
and highlight things that I may have missed . . . . do you have a preferred
dictionary or resource?  (Google has too many for me to do a decent perusal
quickly)

    rather than starting with NLP, I think that we're going to need to start
    with a formal language that is a disambiguated subset of English

IMHO that is an almost hopeless approach, ambiguity is too
  integral to English or any natural language ... e.g preposition
  ambiguity

If you want to take this sort of approach, you'd better start
  with Lojban instead....  Learning Lojban is a pain but far less pain than
  you'll have trying to make a disambiguated subset of English.

ben g

      agi | Archives  |
        Modify
        Your Subscription

      agi | Archives

 | Modify
 Your Subscription

--
Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a
hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a
wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act
alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization
is for insects."  -- Robert Heinlein

      agi | Archives

 | Modify
 Your Subscription