Lojban is a unique case as it has the flexibility to be a formal language, a
language as ambiguous as English or more so, and to exist at any level
inbetween as well... one could use it in exploratory AI work in a variety of
ways...

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 10:36 PM, Trent Waddington <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > So how does yet another formal language processing system help us
> understand
> > natural language? This route has been a dead end for 50 years, in spite
> of
> > the ability to always make some initial progress before getting stuck.
>
> Although I mostly agree with you, I do often think that humans
> understand formal languages very differently to, say, compilers (if
> they can be said to understand them at all) and I think it is
> interesting to study how one might build an AGI system that
> understands formal languages the way humans do.  I have no idea
> whether it is easier to do this with formal languages than it is to do
> this with natural languages.
>
> Trent

Ben Goertzel, PhD
CEO, Novamente LLC and Biomind LLC
Director of Research, SIAI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher
a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts,
build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders,
cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure,
program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects."  -- Robert Heinlein