On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Matt Mahoney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So how does yet another formal language processing system help us understand
> natural language? This route has been a dead end for 50 years, in spite of
> the ability to always make some initial progress before getting stuck.

Although I mostly agree with you, I do often think that humans
understand formal languages very differently to, say, compilers (if
they can be said to understand them at all) and I think it is
interesting to study how one might build an AGI system that
understands formal languages the way humans do.  I have no idea
whether it is easier to do this with formal languages than it is to do
this with natural languages.

Trent