From: Richard Loosemore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [agi] A paper that actually does solve the problem of consciousness
To: agi@v2.listbox.com
Date: Friday, November 14, 2008, 12:27 PM
I completed the first draft of a technical paper on
consciousness the other day. It is intended for the AGI-09 conference, and it can be found at:

http://susaro.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/draft_consciousness_rpwl.pdf

The title is "Consciousness in Human and Machine: A
Theory and Some Falsifiable Predictions", and it does solve the
problem, believe it or not.

But I have no illusions:  it will be misunderstood, at the
very least. I expect there will be plenty of people who argue that it does not solve the problem, but I don't really care, because I think history will eventually show that this is indeed the right answer. It gives a satisfying answer to all the outstanding questions and it
feels right.

Oh, and it does make some testable predictions.  Alas, we
do not yet have the technology to perform the tests yet, but the predictions are on the table, anyhow.

In a longer version I would go into a lot more detail,
introducing the background material at more length, analyzing the other proposals that have been made and fleshing out the technical aspects along several dimensions. But the size limit for the conference was 6 pages, so that was all I could cram in.

Richard Loosemore