Harry Chesley wrote:
On 11/14/2008 9:27 AM, Richard Loosemore wrote:

 I completed the first draft of a technical paper on consciousness the
 other day.   It is intended for the AGI-09 conference, and it can be
 found at:

http://susaro.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/draft_consciousness_rpwl.pdf

Good paper.

A related question: How do you explain the fact that we sometimes are aware of qualia and sometimes not? You can perform the same actions paying attention or "on auto pilot." In one case, qualia "manifest," while in the other they do not. Why is that?

I actually *really* like this question: I was trying to compose an answer to it while lying in bed this morning.

This is what I started referring to (in a longer version of the paper) as a "Consciousness Holiday".

In fact, if start unpacking the idea of what we mean by conscious experience, we start to realize that it inly really exists when we look at it. It is not even logically possible to think about consciousness - any form of it, including *memories* of the consciousness that I had a few minutes ago, when I was driving along the road and talking to my companion without bothering to look at several large towns that we drove through - without applying the analysis mechanism to the consciousness episode.

So when I don't remember anything about those towns, from a few minutes ago on my road trip, is it because (a) the attentional mechanism did not bother to lay down any episodic memory traces, so I cannot bring back the memories and analyze them, or (b) that I was actually not experiencing any qualia during that time when I was on autopilot?

I believe that the answer is (a), and that IF I can stopped at any point during the observation period and thought about the experience I just had, I would be able to appreciate the last few seconds of subjective experience.

The real reply to your question goes much much deeper, and it is fascinating because we need to get a handle on creatures that probably do not do any reflective, language-based philosophical thinking (like guinea pigs and crocodiles). I want to say more, but will have to set it down in a longer form.

Does this seem to make sense so far, though?

Richard Loosemore