Ben Goertzel wrote:

Richard,

So are you saying that: "According to the ordinary scientific standards of 'explanation', the subjective experience of consciousness cannot be explained ... and as a consequence, the relationship between subjective consciousness and physical data (as required to be elucidated by any solution to Chalmers' "hard problem" as normally conceived) also cannot be explained."

If so, then: according to the ordinary scientific standards of explanation, you are not explaining consciousness, nor explaining the relation btw consciousness and the physical ... but are rather **explaining why, due to the particular nature of consciousness and its relationship to the ordinary scientific standards of explanation, this kind of explanation is not possible**

??

No!

If you write the above, then you are summarizing the question that I pose at the half-way point of the paper, just before the second part gets underway.

The "ordinary scientific standards of explanation" are undermined by questions about consciousness. They break. You cannot use them. They become internally inconsistent. You cannot say "I hereby apply the standard mechanism of 'explanation' to Problem X", but then admit that Problem X IS the very mechanism that is responsible for determining the 'explanation' method you are using, AND the one thing you know about that mechanism is that you can see a gaping hole in the mechanism!

You have to find a way to mend that broken standard of explanation.

I do that in part 2.

So far we have not discussed the whole paper, only part 1.

Richard Loosemore